What if the fortune God restores to us is Peace? Imagine a world where we could all live without fear because Peace broke out?
I have to admit that i just watched "Citizenfour". It's worth a watch, if only to get the rest of the story on Edward Snowden. The primary question running through my mind as I watched was: "How in the world did three administrations (essentially) get away with convincing us that they had our best interests at heart when they perpetrated this massive invasion on our privacy?" The simple answer is: we let them convince us that there are clear and present dangers out there and that in order to protect us, the government had to get all this information.
There's no easy answer to this, but the fortune I would pray for God to grant us is the discernment to find peaceful, non-invasive solutions.
The mind blowing bit here is that this Psalm is telling us that we can look forward to:
Those who sow with tears will reap with songs of joy. Those who go out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with them.
"Blessed are the Peacemakers for they will be called children of God." Blessed also because they will bring us songs of joy.
Questions for reflection:
- Think of a moment in your life when sorrow turned to joy. In what ways did you see God giving you joy, and in what ways did you think you caused the shift on your own?
- Every down has it it's up.
- Every job end has been followed by a better job.
- God gave me joy, I had nothing to do with the shift.
- If you asked God today to “restore your fortunes,” what specifically would you ask for? Do you think this refers to money?
- Restoring a world where the biggest concern would be bringing about the Kingdom of God, rather than worrying about external dangers, real, imagined, or simply perceived as dangers.
- I do not thing this has anything to do with money. "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." That just doesn't seem to be the focus God would want us to have.