Monday, February 23, 2015

Lenten Devotion -- Tuesday, February 24

Day 6

Please note, Day 5 and Day 6 have gotten jumbled somehow. I will ammend in the next post.

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear.

I've often said it sometimes takes a two by four to get my attention, that God sometimes uses one. These Lenten journey reflections have been a wake-up call. Not to rehash the last 6 days, but the consistent, recurring message has been God telling me: "Trust me."


I think I can safely say that I am now calmer than I've been in a looong while. I'm willing to sit back and see where God is leading me rather than trying to either blindly forge ahead or panic because I'm not making headway.

There's still a lot on my plate. I still need to prioritize, organize and complete a number of things... But I'm not as apprehensive as I was two weeks ago. 

In the context of the bigger picture, my concerns about world politics and where we are collectively heading, these verses are comforting:

Come and see what the Lord has done,
    the desolations he has brought on the earth.
He makes wars cease
    to the ends of the earth.
He breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
    he burns the shields with fire.
10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth.”

I like that the verses point to a time of peace, not to apocalyptic end times. Now we wait and see how things unfold, knowing that we might have to do something to bring about that peace, but also knowing that God will guide us to get there.
Questions for reflection:

  1. What are the earthquakes—and tremors—of anxiety in your life today, and in what ways do you feel God’s presence in the midst of them?
    • career transitions, world-wide chaos and violence...
    • I feel God's presence through these reflections, in the support of my family and Church and through all the messages he's put in my way over the last couple of weeks!
  2. Spend some time taking up God’s invitation in this psalm: “Be still and know that I am God.”
    • I will. Hope if you are reading this, that you will join me.

No comments: