Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Lenten Devotion -- Monday, February 23

Day 6

Note: Monday and Tuesday's devotions got jumbled for me. I'll be doing Monday's devotion today, relabeled yesterday's as Tuesday's and I should be all caught up tomorrow.

A Psalm of praise and gratitude. A Psalm of peace. It fits well with what I'm going through because I feel God's strong presence in my life right now. I'm going to bookmark this meditation and this psalm for when, inevitably, life's travails bring me down. I may be on the mountain top right now, but I know eventually I'll go back to the valley. And I hope that this reminder will keep me going, keep my eyes on God and remind me that God is with me even there.

I have to admit that the last three verses are jarring.
Those who want to kill me will be destroyed;
    they will go down to the depths of the earth.
They will be given over to the sword
    and become food for jackals.
But the king will rejoice in God;
    all who swear by God will glory in him,
    while the mouths of liars will be silenced.
It flies in the face of "Love your enemies", even "Love your neighbor." I realize that this is why we must examine the context of all scripture to understand it's full complexity, but not feeling so strongly about anyone in my life it doesn't seem to apply. However, in the greater context of "what do we do about [insert terrorist organization name here]" I can see where this attitude could be comforting. God as protector. Still, I can also see it as validating a vengeful, retributional attitude. That could be really dangerous. But I will hang on to the beginning of the Psalm for comfort.
Questions for reflection:
  1. What do you long for most from God today?
    1. Peace and Understanding.
  2. In what ways has God satisfied your deepest longings?
    1. The immediate future has been clarified for me. I don't have the same worries and anxieties I had very recently.

No comments: