Thursday, February 19, 2015

Lenten Devotion -- Thursday, February 19

Beginning the Journey.

My Lenten practice this year will be to follow the Lenten Devotional From PCUSA's "Presbyterian's Today", reflect on the readings, answer the reflection questions and blog about it. (To find out more: search for #‎PCUSALent‬)


From: http://www.presbyterianmission.org/calendar/lenten/february-19/



This passage shows up in both Psalm 42 and Psalm 43
Why, my soul, are you downcast?
    Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
    for I will yet praise him,
    my Savior and my God.

Speaks to me about the doubt and uncertainty I've been feeling.

There are two areas I am primarily concerned about. Affecting me on the personal front: my job search. Affecting me in a more global sense: the rise of radical Islamism and accompanying violence.

On the personal front, I have a general idea what I need to do but don't have a clear perspective on where God wants me to be right now.

On the global front: I have absolutely no idea what to do other than pray. Everybody I know has a very firm, unmovable opinion on the topic (regardless of where they stand.)  I don't feel that there is a way to convey the message that this complex problem does not have any simple answers. That retaliation and revenge will do nothing to solve it. That dealing with anything other than the root causes (social injustice, power abuse, lack of a viable economic base to name but a few) is a waste of time and lives.

Psalm 42, 9:
I say to God my Rock,
    "Why have you forgotten me?

But I know God hasn't forgotten me, I know I must seek God and God's wisdom in prayer and study. And hope God grants me the courage to act on what I learn.

Reflection:


1. In what ways do you long for God's presence, and what events or aspects of your life trigger that longing?

Seeking Peace and Justice and Reading the news respectively.

2. "Hope in God," the psalmist says. During Lent this year, what are you hoping for? 

Finding Peace
Bringing Peace
Finding Justice
Bringing Justice

No comments: