Friday, March 20, 2015

Lenten Devotion -- Friday, March 20

Day 30


Servanthood, in a first world context, is a concept that brings along a truckload of baggage and controversy. Nevertheless, that is what God asks to be: servants to the world. That's a concept that doesn't sit well with a people trained and rewarded for leadership and self-sufficiency. But like everything we've seen so far in these lenten devotions, if we put ourselves in God's hands God will equip us to do God's work.

To you I lift up my eyes,
    O you who are enthroned in the heavens!
As the eyes of servants
    look to the hand of their master,
as the eyes of a maid
    to the hand of her mistress,
so our eyes look to the Lord our God,
    until he has mercy upon us.
It's easy to think of ourselves as servants of God. That feels natural. We should keep Matthew 25:40 firmly in mind: the people we serve, they are God's children. We would be serving God.
Questions for reflection:
  1. In what areas of your life are you most tempted to be proud?
    1. As a career professional, it is sometimes tempting to get a bit too focused on getting ahead.
    2. I'm very proud of my kids too, but I'm not sure that's what she's asking about. :)
  2. The success-driven values of our culture can put a lot of pressure on us. In what ways do you find comfort and relief in viewing yourself as a servant?
    1. Again we're up against the phrasing of a question anticipating a certain answer. I don't think I'm supposed to find any comfort or relief. I think I'm supposed to go ahead and get outside my comfort zone and help anyway.
    2. I have been greatly blessed in my life. Not that I'm trying to earn Grace, or feel that I can repay the debt I owe, but I certainly feel like I have an obligation to serve.

No comments: