Friday, March 6, 2015

Lenten Devotion -- Friday, March 6

Day 16


I have a problem with today's Psalm: it could be interpreted as encouraging "Prosperity Theology". That is problematic because it doesn't take much observation to see righteous people struggling and wicked people prospering. I know that's not the intent of the Psalmist. More likely, it's about promoting a focus on God's law leading to a righteous life, leading to happiness, prospering in this context not being a financial prospering then but a prosperity based in contentment.

They are like trees
    planted by streams of water,
which yield their fruit in its season,
    and their leaves do not wither.
In all that they do, they prosper.
If "prosper" here is seen as contentment, then I can agree with Lynne M. Baab: "The metaphor of the trees planted by streams of water reminds me to look for the seasonal fruit and green leaves of my life."

I like the metaphor of "...roots sinking deep into the living waters of God’s grace." Not to belabor the metaphor, but the tree whose roots are deep in the living waters can withstand being in the (sometimes inclement and destructive) weather of the world, knowing that it is constantly replenished by living water.
Questions for reflection:
  1. What kinds of good fruit, green leaves, and other signs of God’s life in you are you thankful for today?
    1. Though there have been some setbacks, I'm able to move forward. (with a more positive outlook than when I first started this devotional practice.)
    2. I believe I can be a positive influence in other's lives.
    3. I am a contributing member of society.
  2. Right now, imagine your roots sinking deep into the living waters of God’s grace. What does that look like in practice in your life?
    1. Let the storms come, I can handle them.
    2. I hope I can anchor other's into whose lives storms rage.
    3. Maybe those of us with our roots firmly in the living waters of God's grace can feed the world with our fruit.

No comments: