Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Lenten Devotion -- Tuesday, March 10

Day 20


I have to admit today's Psalm brought me up short. The Psalm is in praise of God for God's great creation. The wake up call: God made all creation. Including folks whose views and actions I find despicable (politicians trying to start a war and/or sabotage the rightfully elected leader of this country come to mind.)

That makes it real challenging. I know I'm supposed to pray for them. I know I'm supposed to love them. But it's very hard. I guess if it was easy...

I'm not saying I'm ever going to change my mind about their politics, but I now feel obligated to pray for them. No, it doesn't mean I'm ever going to see their point of view or agree with it either. But that's not the point. The point is that it's ALL God's creation and we have the charge of caring for ALL of it.
Questions for reflection:
  1. Our culture tends to extol the virtues of independence. Why do you think God instead wants us conscious of our dependence (and interdependence)?
    1. The "independence" that is promoted by the culture is an illusion. Humans cannot exist in isolation. We need community to survive. We need to be part of community to thrive. God wants us aware of that truth.
  2. In what ways are you tempted to think that you are not dependent on God?
    1. Only when I buy into my self-sufficiency.

No comments: