Monday, March 16, 2015

Lenten Devotion -- Monday, March 16

Day 26


The meditation psalms to date have been psalms of praise, thanksgiving, gratitude. God's glory and positive outlook are the focus. Today's psalm is a psalm of lamentation. If we are honest with ourselves, it's entirely possible that if we allow ourselves, that would be where we would spend the majority of out time: in lamentation. Or maybe that's just how this age feels, if we pay attention to the news at all.

There is surely a time to face our worries and fears. To express them, to deal with them. This psalm certainly gives us language we can use. It's a good model to follow because, though the laments are honestly expressed, they are always followed by a plea to God for mercy, aid or relief.

Psalms of lamentation are a good reminder that however bleak things look, God will always be there for us.

Thank God!
Hear my prayer, O Lord;
    let my cry come to you.
Do not hide your face from me
    in the day of my distress.
Incline your ear to me;
    answer me speedily in the day when I call.
Questions for reflection:
  1. How can you keep your honesty from becoming a pattern of negativity?
    1. Staying focused on praise, thanksgiving and gratitude while facing issues head on would be a good start.
    2. Favoring listening (to God, to others) over lamenting.
    3. Asking for God's help at all times.
  2. What distress or groaning would you like to express to God today?
    1. Actually, all things considered, on balance: Thank you Lord I am groan-free today.

No comments: