Monday, March 30, 2015

Lenten Devotion -- Monday, March 30

Day 40


Over the last couple of days, many demands have been made of me. Some openly and combatively, some gently and with patience, some were made passively. While I understand that I have a responsibility to meet all of them, it is sometimes a drain. It is good that I am going through this meditation because it is helping me cope. I am surprised at how often I have to remind myself to think back on the psalms and take courage and solace from them. I suppose I expected that reaction to be second nature by now. But it's not. I guess the lizard brain (the one that experiences fear and wants to fight or flee) is stronger than the rational, meditative brain. I thank God that we are in Lent and that God has called me to see these reminders on a daily basis.

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
    whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life;
    of whom shall I be afraid?
Sometimes I read those verses and I just want to shout at the world: "Bring it!"

Then again, there are times when I should ought to have them tattooed somewhere as a reminder...
One thing I asked of the Lord,
    that will I seek after:
to live in the house of the Lord
    all the days of my life,
to behold the beauty of the Lord,
    and to inquire in his temple.
Amen...

And if you are going through tough times right now:
Wait for the Lord;
    be strong, and let your heart take courage;
    wait for the Lord!
Questions for reflection:

No comments: