Thursday, March 19, 2015

Lenten Devotion -- Thursday, March 19

Day 29


The psalmist talks about God knowing him, knowing him completely from his conception to his demise and everything in between including all his thoughts and motivations and actions and... That's both comforting and scary. There's nowhere to run and hide from God. Everything we think and do God knows. Still, despite all that, God's grace and forgiveness is there for us.

The comforting part of all that is that as well as God knows us, God can can still use us - flaws and all. If we look at the stories passed down to us in the bible, God never used perfect people. God always used people that God then equipped for the task at hand. So we have no excuse for hanging back or not heeding God's call. But if we step up God will be with us and will give us what we need to do God's work.
Search me, O God, and know my heart;
    test me and know my thoughts.
See if there is any wicked way in me,
    and lead me in the way everlasting.
Questions for reflection:
  1. If indeed God sees you through and through, in what ways does this help you to be honest with God?
    1. Me being honest with God is not the issue. Me being honest with myself and accepting that there is nothing I can hide is the bigger issue.
    2. That being said however, it does make me want to walk the walk that matches the talk.
  2. Which parts of your life do you fear sharing with God and others? What would it mean if you knew that you would be loved no matter what?
    1. I am human. I am always in need of redemption. I've always know that. Knowing that I will always be loved means I should be looking forward with hope, not looking backwards with regret.

No comments: