Thursday, March 26, 2015

Lenten Devotion -- Thursday, March 26

Day 36


We work hard, we struggle, we strive, we suffer strife. We feel that life is all about putting enough effort into life to make it all worthwhile. But the psalmist implies that our fulfillment in God only happens when we calm down, relax and approach God in humility.

But I have calmed and quieted myself,
    I am like a weaned child with its mother;
    like a weaned child I am content.
This is so counter to everything we're taught and have come to expect that it will take a major adjustment to our thinking to get to that place of - dare I say it? - Zen. But sometimes it's in the giving up, letting go and accepting help that we finally find relief.
Questions for reflection:
  1. What impedes the calming and quieting of your soul?
    1. The noisy world.
    2. The expectations of being "upwardly mobile."
    3. The expectation that I must be completely self-sufficient.
  2. Spend some time right now in silence, seeking calm. Maybe meditate or pray. Imagine you are resting in God like a child on its mother’s lap.
    1. That's a very comforting image.

No comments: