Thursday, March 5, 2015

Lenten Devotion -- Thursday, March 5

Day 15


The Psalm is about gratitude to God for answering our supplications, taking care of our needs. That part is easy. The other part is showing that gratitude. The Psalm speaks specifically about being in the presence of the people of God. That's not that big a deal. Well, for me anyway. What's a bigger deal is showing that gratitude to the rest of the world. A rest of the world that is not disposed to hear, let alone understand that gratitude.



I've always said: I'm a KISS (Keep It Simple Silly) kind of guy. So the following verses resonate with me:
The Lord protects the simple;
    when I was brought low, he saved me.
Return, O my soul, to your rest,
    for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you.


That's telling me I don't have to understand God's plan. I just have to put my faith in God, be grateful for God's salvation, and show that gratitude.
"Just". :)
Questions for reflection:
  1. In your life, what impedes you from seeing the ways God has delivered you in crises? Does “delivery” always mean that the crisis is over, or can it mean the persistence of faith in the midst of crisis?
    1. It's not that I don't see the ways God has delivered me, it's more that I usually don't see the deliverance till after the fact.
    2. As to the second part of the question: yes, the bigger challenge is keeping the faith while waiting for the resolution.
    3. No, it does not mean the crisis is over. Someday, I will actually get to the point where I realize that God is with me throughout the whole process, all the way through resolution.
  2. Can you remember a time in your life when you felt the kind of relief this psalm expresses? Spend some time thanking God for it.
    1. There are several. More importantly: There are still several situations I'm praying about. I'm praying that I will realize there will be relief, shortly, and that I need to start the gratitude process right now.


Thank you Lord.

No comments: