Psalm 8 is a good Psalm to read when dealing with doubt. It's a testament to God's love and God's might, and certainly a wake up call to us: with that much love and power behind us, how can we hesitate to do God's work, regardless of how insignificant we feel.
what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them? You have made them a little lower than the angels and crowned them with glory and honor.Those are inspiring, awesome, comforting words. To be honest, there's also an aspect of trepidation: How can I ever be worthy? I'm pretty sure I can't. But there is God's grace, and God gave us his only Son. THAT is more than plenty. I will pray for guidance and strength to be worthy.
Questions for reflection:
- In what settings do you feel your smallness? Your significance?
- Any time I contemplate all that needs work in this world.
- Any time I consider how much still needs to be done for us to reach equality.
- Any time I contemplate how far we are from world peace.
- Any time I consider what it would take to feed the world.
- Once in a while, I get feedback that some advice I have given has made a difference in someone's life.
- I hope I am contributing to my community.
- I hope I can at least bring smiles to those around me.
- In what ways are you called to be a caretaker of God’s creation?
- In every possible way. The verses above imbue a great sense of responsibility.