Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Lenten Devotion -- Tuesday, March 17

Day 27


The depth of despair that Psalm 130 comes from is hard for me to fathom. I admit to feeling angst, fear, some measure of despair but nothing like this. But the psalmist shows us that even from those depths, reaching out to God is not only necessary, but the only option.

If you, O Lord, should mark iniquities,
    Lord, who could stand?
But there is forgiveness with you,
    so that you may be revered.
And there is forgiveness. Sometimes part of our despair is our inability to fathom how we can measure up to the Grace God gives us. But that's the point of Grace. It is freely given. We don't have to measure up. We have been forgiven. That debt has been paid.

I wait for the Lord, my soul waits,
    and in his word I hope;
my soul waits for the Lord
    more than those who watch for the morning,
    more than those who watch for the morning.
And in the Lord, in that anticipation, there is hope to keep us going.

Lynne M. Baab makes the point that our "advertising world" is tempting us to fill that void, that longing, with something other than God. That makes sense. If you measure the amount of distraction the world throws at us, keeping our attention from focusing on God, it's easy to see where we could be seduced into NOT looking to God.
Questions for reflection:
1. What is painfully absent from your life? What is one hole you’re waiting for God to fill?
2. In what ways are you tempted to think that something other than God will satisfy your longings?

I am grateful that I can say there is nothing absent from my life, there are no holes that need filling. I am grateful that I know that nothing will replace my longing for God. Having said that though, I will admit to being human and that I pray for strength in shutting out the ambient noise.

No comments: