Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Lenten Devotion -- Wednesday, March 4

Day 14


English is an interesting language. Take the word "Bless", it can mean several things. For instance it can mean "to request of God the bestowal of divine favor on" or "to extol as holy; glorify". I'm trying not to get hung up on the linguistics, but maybe that's not wholly coincidental. Maybe what God is trying to tell me is: you do your part, I'll do Mine. That may sound heretic, but perhaps the intent is to shine a light on the fact that me "blessing" God (in the second meaning) is a prerequisite to God "blessing" me (in the first meaning.) Not that it's a quid-pro-quo situation. More that it's a continuation of the previous several lessons: what I focus on is what I'm going to see.



In the devotion, Lynne M. Baab says: "We bless God by being a blessing to others." So, it's not just about the words and the attitude, it's also about the being God's representatives for others. There is responsibility there.

Questions for reflection:
  1. What do you want to bless God for today?
    1. New Job.
    2. Warmth and shelter during the storm (literally.)
    3. Many new opportunities.
  2. In what way can you be a blessing today to others?
    1. More listening, less talking.
    2. More support, less advice
    3. I'm open to suggestions....

No comments: