Thursday, April 2, 2015

Lenten Devotion -- Wednesday, April 1

Day 42


In psalm 69, the psalmist feels like he's in dire straights and is begging God for deliverance. He feels like the whole world is against him, because of his perceived righteousness and his work for God. I understand Christians (or people of any religion) who are in a minority and are persecuted feeling that way. I have a feeling that the "Conservative Christian" folks who think they are doing God's work also feel this way: that they are doing God's work in the face of a hostile world. Getting past how I feel about their positions is hard for me because of how fundamentally I disagree with everything they stand for. But they must be in my prayers regardless. All extremists should be in my prayers. I will pray that God will show them God's way and help them to see that we are all in this together, we are all children of God - even those that don't believe in God - and are deserving of peace, love and happiness. And I will pray that God will show us all a way to work together to that end and for God's kingdom.

Today is the 4th anniversary of my Father's passing. In all the ways that matter, he is the reason I am who I am today. He is the reason I have the faith I have today. He is the reason for the values I have. Having said that, I'll say that parts of me that still need work are all on me. I'm not trying to put my father on a pedestal, just want to take responsibility for the work I still have to do.

Tomorrow starts the worship experience that leads us up to Easter. Maundy Thursday, when we remember the last supper. Good Friday, when we remember the suffering and crucifixion. Saturday's Easter vigil, when we remember our faith journey and baptism and relive the Church's history in preparation for the great day. And finally Easter Sunday when we celebrate the Resurrection and our redemption.If you are looking for a worship experience in Plano, TX may I encourage you to check out our schedule?

Tomorrow, in a sense, is the beginning of the end of the Lenten journey. Hopefully, the lessons learned here will stay with me and start me on the next leg of the journey towards the kingdom.
Questions for reflection:

No comments: